ICE Detention Cells Planned for Downtown Rochester Federal Building Draw Sharp Criticism
- Staff Report

- 2 hours ago
- 2 min read
Plans by the Trump administration to move forward with the construction of ICE detention holding cells inside the downtown Rochester federal building are drawing strong opposition from local leaders, including Congressman Joe Morelle and Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer and U.S. Senator Kirsten Gillibrand.

According to a statement released Thursday by Morelle’s office, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security and Customs and Border Protection have confirmed that the project at the Kenneth B. Keating Federal Building will proceed despite objections from local officials and community members.
The project would establish multiple detention holding areas within the federal building, along with secure detainee transfer zones, expanded fencing, anti-scale security infrastructure, and restricted-access parking areas surrounding the site. Construction is expected to begin May 23 and continue for more than a year.
“The federal government ignored our community, dodged basic questions, and decided to move forward with this project anyway,” Morelle said in a statement. “The answers we received were evasive, insulting to the people of Rochester, and refused to address concerns about the impact this facility will have on families and children who use this building every day.”
Morelle characterized the proposal as part of President Donald Trump’s broader immigration enforcement agenda and accused federal officials of shutting local residents out of the process.
“This is Donald Trump’s immigration agenda brought directly into the heart of downtown Rochester,” Morelle said. “His administration has made clear they don’t believe this community deserves a voice in the process—and Rochester residents have every right to be outraged.”
Schumer also criticized the project, saying the administration is advancing plans “with zero support or input from the courts and the Rochester community.”
“This is not the right building for this kind of operation,” Schumer said. “They are denying Rochester a voice and hiding answers to basic questions about what will happen at this facility.”
The federal building, located in the center of downtown Rochester, houses multiple federal agencies and regularly serves members of the public, including families and children attending appointments and court-related matters. Critics have raised concerns about the potential impact of detention operations in a heavily trafficked civic space.
The controversy follows months of growing local and national debate surrounding immigration enforcement and the expansion of detention operations under the Trump administration. Rochester has seen several protests in recent years tied to immigration issues, including demonstrations over ICE enforcement activity and the treatment of asylum seekers.
Morelle’s office said federal officials confirmed they do not intend to delay construction to allow for additional public comment or local review.
The original letter sent by Morelle, Schumer, and Senator Kirsten Gillibrand to DHS earlier this year sought answers regarding the scope of the project, security concerns, and potential community impacts.
As of Friday, DHS and CBP had not publicly announced additional details regarding operational capacity, how long detainees may be held at the site, or whether immigration court-related processing would occur inside the facility.

















Comments